Sunday 25 March 2012

If it looks too easy...it won't work!

This was meant to be a post where I basked in the glory of your 'ooohs' and 'ahhhs' after making something especially pretty, alas, it won't be.

And don't think I gave up after the first attempt either! I tried twice to get this to work but it just won't, I'd love to know where I'm going wrong.

So I better tell you what I wanted to make....

Glitter!

Now I don't know about you but I do love a bit of sparkle and I always find that when I want to add a little bit of sparkle to something I never (ever ever) have any glitter and have to go on a walkabout to go an buy some. So when I saw this tutorial I thought I was quids in! These are the ingredients:



Not exactly items you wouldn't have in your cupboard are they? Fantastic! So I got the ingredients together and I got to mixing:



Time to put them in the oven! The instructions say 10 minutes at 350F (so about 180 on our ovens) and the results:



Erm...that doesn't look much like glitter to me! Where did I go wrong I thought to myself...Well I have a fan assisted oven so perhaps it was too hot? OK, take two - this time on 160 for five minutes...



Nope! That's still not glitter! And how does red food colouring turn purple? I'd really love to know that one.

My main issue with this 'glitter' is that it doesn't sparkle, this is just coloured dust (well, salt) and that isn't what I wanted. I had a bit of a look about 'tinternet for a solution and some people suggest adding a sparkly powder to your home made glitter to make it sparkle...so add glitter to your glitter people!

Rubbish.

I'm not impressed.

I'm especially not impressed because I had a little project all lined up for using my glitter and now I'll have to go and buy some!

Have you ever made glitter? Do you know how to make it sparkle? Plleeeaaase tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment